Five beet recipes from our good friend (and amazing cook!) Laure Guillelmi – 13/07/2020
- First, imagine a plate covered in delicious red and orange ribbons, sprinkled with a citrusy vinaigrette, that will give you energy and pep — then make it, courtesy of this Beet & Carrot recipe from Williams Sonoma
- Tatin tarts are yummy and easy to make with your own (or a store-bought) puff pastry. This beetroot and shallot tarte tatin with walnut, orange and dill dressing from the UK food magazine Delicious will certainly be a hit when you serve it
- Try this unusual Muhamarra from Fine Cooking as a dip with crispy pita bread
- Or try this even more unusual tapenade from Better Homes & Gardens (no pic, sorry!)
- Don’t throw away those hearty green leaves that top fresh bundles of beets (beet greens)! They have a flavor similar to kale. This simple recipe from allrecipes will help you make the most of your fresh beets! By Daryl Gerboth
Candied Beets – 07/09/2011
Sylvia Morin, CSA member at our Westmount drop-off, wrote to tell us she made this dish with our beets and that “it’s like candy!” She notes that a balsamic vinegar-orange juice combo is a nice variation on the balsamic vinegar-maple syrup mix suggested in the recipe below.
Let cool or serve warm. For those who like beets, they are tender, tangy and sticky, a real delicacy!
Beet Dip – 07/09/2011
Westmount drop-off CSA member Ano Deoram gave us this beet dip recipe…somewhat off-puttingly called“Coagulated Blood Dip” (a Halloween recipe, in case you were wondering).
Great as a dip for crudités or served with pita bread like hummus or baba ghanouj.
Arlington Gardens Beet Salad – 08/08/2011
Our beet salad resembles our tomato salad: boil 4 or 5 large beets 25-30 minutes to soften them (test them with a fork, do not overcook), let cool, then skin and cut them into pieces, add a diced white onion (spring onions are also nice), chopped fresh parsly or coriander, and cubed feta or turkish cheese. The best dressing is a lemon and olive oil one, with pressed garlic, mustard and a dash of pepper. Add the dressing, mix gently and serve. Sliced hard boiled eggs are a nice garnish.
Roasted Beets and Sautéed Beet Greens – 11/07/2010
Many people agree that beet greens are as valuable as the beets themselves. Here is a suggestion for a quick and easy recipe that combines both. Enjoy!